Author Topic: Re: Charity Begins .... Where?  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Steve

• Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 325
    • www.huckleberrysmenswear.co.uk
Re: Charity Begins .... Where?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 12:53:06 AM »
Hi All,

Last year i searched and asked locally about charities in Corfu to be told that it was not the Greek way to support charities as the government looks after that sort of thing?

I searched the internet and asked my Greek neighbours, surely, if i raise money in England there is a charity here i could donate to?

Then, after many hours on the internet and my neighbours enquiries i found "The Smile of a Child" I thought yes, this is what i would like to sponsor.

I emailed them but was refered to Athens for more information. The emails went back and forth and this was the result.

We don't accept cash donations but if you have a particular interest or skill we would welcome you to come to Magoulades and help with building, carpentry, repaires etc.

Anyway, this is my choice as the children there need all the help and support they can get and it would be completely different from what other forums are doing.

I will be in Corfu in May and intend to visit them.

I have some information at work which i will access tomorrow and pass on to Bob.

Regards, Stevie.
The "Corfu Villages Printed Book" is now available as the Corfu villages website. www.corfuvillages.eu Price 9.95 it contains 60 stunning pages in high gloss featuring 50 villages with text and unseen photographs. All money raised will go to the Corfu charities and the less fortunate on the Island.

Offline jan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 277
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
when my husband died donations were made by people to Smile of the Child and also a charity for street children run by a priest in Athens.  I felt that I would like to do something in his memory when we sold the family business and so I got some money through none of my own efforts and through Corfu Rotary we took the kids to Aqualand and gave them a day out, with ices, burgers etc- the things our own children tended to take for granted.  That is some years ago but maybe a group of us could do a similar day out- maybe to the waterpark in Acharavi which is nearer to Magoulades.  It would need some coordinating but if anyone is interested in helping, either on the day or financially do pm me.

San Stefano Estate (historical villa welcoming visitors) Benitses
www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 681
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
That's a nice idea Jan but it would definitely take some serious organising and coordination. We used to have trouble coordinating days out with our own kids! That probably says more about us though!

It would be a very serious undertaking!

Bob
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

Offline jan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 277
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
well, it would be good to have something serious to try and organise again- some day I'll tell you about the crazy summer when we did loads of fund raising and collecting things on Corfu to take to the Romanian orphans- ended up taking a daleika (double lorry) full right up to the Ukrainian border in December!

San Stefano Estate (historical villa welcoming visitors) Benitses
www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline tracyk

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
i can only tell you about the one in Lefkimmi area the drop off point for food is the Lefkimmi council office (opp the Lefkimmi philharmonic) they are trying to get together with all the councils from the surrounding villages and are having a meeting this week so will let you know if the drop off place changes

Offline lias

• Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
I like the idea of supporting three charities, one children orientated (e.g. the smile of a child), one animal orientated (preferably for strays) and I finally, just love the idea of the Fire Service who do such a phenomenal job under such difficult circumstances when we are under threat.   There is nothing more reassuring than seeing those little planes flying back and forth overhead when you are threatened by fire as so many of us were last summer.

Offline annamay

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
hello, I have 8 'jumbo' bags full of used books and would like to see them go some way towards a charity.  Would anyone like them?  If so, we can deliver after Xmas. 

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 681
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
hello, I have 8 'jumbo' bags full of used books and would like to see them go some way towards a charity.  Would anyone like them?  If so, we can deliver after Xmas.

annamay,

That is a very kind offer. I notice that you have a UK email address but I have a suspicion that you may be in Corfu! Can you clarify whether you are here or in the UK, please? Also, are these are English language books?

Bob
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

Offline htsopelas

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • κατασκευή ιστοσελίδων
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
That's a nice idea Jan but it would definitely take some serious organising and coordination. We used to have trouble coordinating days out with our own kids! That probably says more about us though!

It would be a very serious undertaking!

Bob

You're absolutely right

All content Copyright 2012 Corfu Forum. All rights reserved.
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25