Author Topic: Copyright - Our responsibilities  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 681
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
Copyright - Our responsibilities
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
We have been pondering this subject since the forum was launched. I think that it is time that the subject was now broached.

Let us say from the outset that we are not experts on copyright law but I think that there are things that we can all do to ensure that the forum and its members don't jeopardise themselves. If we have any members who have knowledge of copyright law, we would be delighted to hear their views, particularly if they can be expressed in terms that we mere mortals will understand!

This then is our stance on the subject as of today, 6th February 2012.
Putting things simply, If you want to post anything that has previously been published, whether it be in document or book form, or maybe on the Internet, you must get the author's consent to republish it. Please do not pass off other people's work as your own. Sometimes, merely mentioning the original author will not be satisfactory.

This of course does not mean that you can't post a link to another site which you think provides more information or information supporting your post.

I have previously approached the authors of articles published in magazines and newspapers and asked for consent to publish their original articles. In every case they have consented and in every case I have acknowledged them as the original author and that the article has been reproduced with their consent.

This is not to say that you should not research a subject that you want to discuss and subsequently express your view based upon your research. In fact sometimes a reference to the source of what you are basing your views on are extremely helpful to others.

Why have we chosen to raise this now?
I have had occasion to remove one post that I know was offered in all innocence. There was a reference to an individual but it was not clear whether that individual's consent had been obtained to reproduce it. I am sure that we are aware that there are many who will seek to make money out of litigation. We do not intend to offer them the opportunity of further filling their coffers!

I would like to highlight a good thing that came out of this incident! I have deliberately not identified the member concerned in the removed post. However, I would like to say thank you to that member for the manner in which we were able to deal with this matter. Your graciousness was appreciated! Come to think of it, it was nothing more than we have come to expect of the membership of this forum ... So far!

If anyone has any observations on this subject please feel free to express them.

Bob & Trisa.
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

All content Copyright 2012 Corfu Forum. All rights reserved.
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25