Author Topic: Corfu Forum Occasional Newsletter - 4th March 2012  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 681
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
Corfu Forum Occasional Newsletter - 4th March 2012
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »
Hi everybody and welcome to our second occasional newsletter. We wanted to take the opportunity to keep you up to date with what's been going on with regards to Corfu Forum. I will reproduce this on the Forum's Facebook Group page in the hope that we may encourage some who have yet to register at www.corfu-forum.com/forum!

Thank You!
It would be remiss of us were we not to start with a few offers of thanks. First a general thank you goes to all our members for your continued support and kind words. The conduct of the membership has been outstanding making moderation easy for us. It just shows that grown-ups treated as grown-ups tend to behave like grown-ups! That is not meant to be patronising! It is a fact that the degree of self moderation has amazed us.

We are going to single out a couple of individuals for special thanks. Prepare for the blushes!

Firstly, Steve has done some sterling work as a moderator for the Travel and Tourism Forum. Thanks Steve. Your contributions have been appreciated. I should point out that Steve continues to provide fresh ideas and suggestions, one of which we will offer up for discussion later in this newsletter.

CarlandShelley - Thank you for your contributions outlining how you have coped with the bureaucracy involved in moving to Greece. You have provided a great service for all those who will follow in your footsteps.

Maggy! Thank you for those kind words about the forum which Tricia felt obliged to highlight on the forum's Facebook group page!

Now this 'thank you' is slightly embarrassing for us as we don't know the forum member's login name! However, thanks go to Mandy Lockett who publicised the Forum's 'Eating Out' section on our Facebook Group page. Inspired! Why didn't we think of it? That will generate traffic!

A final thank you to those who have contributed suggestions. They are all appreciated - even those that sometimes elicit a groan from me! Nobody has a monopoly on ideas and we welcome them all. Honestly!

Some we have managed to implement, some we haven't. Don't keep your ideas to yourself. Share them!

Where Are We?
At the time of cobbling this together, we have, since 22nd January 2012:

Just under 9,700 posts  in 815 topics contributed by 215 members.

Approaching 300,000 page views.

An average of 228 posts per day and an average of 20.5 topics per day.

Encouraging!

New Stuff (In no particular order!)
1. We have introduced 'Tapatalk' so that you can access the forum on your Apple, Android or Blackberry mobile devices

2. You can now share posts on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.

At the moment, this option only exists on the first post of a topic. I can make it available on every post but I considered that it is more appropriate in most cases on the first post.

If you click on any of the buttons at the bottom of the post, it will allow you to comment on the post and post it to YOUR account (Facebook, Twitter, Google+). In the case of Facebook, it will put a link to the post that you like and your comment on your home page. That way, any of your friends that like the look of the post can click on the link and they will be taken to the post on Corfu Forum. (This will help boost our traffic!)

Do Remember that Twitter limits posts to 140 characters!

3. We have customised the 'Child Forums' in an attempt to make them more obvious.

There have been a few bits of tinkering going on behind the scenes in an attempt to provide higher rankings with various search engines. There has been some improvement on this front. Do be aware that these rankings depend on a myriad of things and that different search engines adopt different criteria. Content is a major contributory factor. That is pretty much in the hands of ... You!

It is worth a few words to mention that we are determined to maintain the Forum's functionality. There have been occasions when I have experimented with modifications, only to find that they don't play nicely together and that they cause problems with existing functionality.

If you're a techie or a geek this can be interesting. If you are a user, it can be a pain in the backside! As the forum exists for the membership, we try to keep you immune from too many nasty surprises!

Searching!
I had included a section here on Searching within the forum. Trisa reckons that you will all suffer from 'glazed eyes' syndrome and so I have made a separate post which I would suggest that you read.

The future - Where do we go from here?
I know that we keep banging on about it but to a certain extent, the future is in your hands!

However, there are a few things that we want to develop. The first ties in with a plan that we have for the main website. You know, that place you never visit! Steve has suggested that, based on the popularity of the thread on villages that we have a forum specifically devoted to this. We don't disagree and have added a further suggestion.

We understand that members have a mass of knowledge about villages on the island. Some live there or have lived there and some will be based on their countless visits. Often these are villages that don't normally figure in the travel brochures. We are almost certainly going to create a forum specifically for this subject. Now here comes the twist that I have suggested to complement Steve's suggestion!

If we go down this road, I would like to select some or all of the reviews to add to static pages on the main website. In this way, we would be able to present the charms of Corfu to a wider audience and let members see their efforts published.

This is quite an exciting project in its own right and it will not be all plain sailing. There will be problems, not least of all time constraints! Steve and I are in discussions on this subject and we would welcome anyone else's input.

I emphasise that this is still in the discussion stage and if anyone feels like PMing me with their thoughts or suggestions, please do.

I will be converting the posts that Carl and Shelley have contributed on their experiences of moving to Corfu to static web pages as they deserve as wide an audience as possible. (We have their consent!)

Expect to see pages relating to Name days as well as Public holidays. They are all in the pipeline.

That's it. We're done!
As we have said previously, this newsletter will not be a regular feature on the forum, merely occasional. It does provide a vehicle for us to keep everyone up to speed. No doubt I will have forgotten things that I should have included. They will have to wait until next time!

Remember! If you like how things are going, tell others. If you don't, tell us!

Have fun,

Bob & Trisa.
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

Offline jrk

• Thank You
  • -Given: 97
  • -Receive: 103
Re: Corfu Forum Occasional Newsletter - 4th March 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
'However, there are a few things that we want to develop. The first ties in with a plan that we have for the main website. You know, that place you never visit!'

Bob, I am being dim as usual,  but not quite sure what is meant here?

Offline ribena

• Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 171
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »
I think he means www.corfu-forum.com which I only ever visited once after registering here on the message boards!  At the moment there isn't really anything on the main site and I think admin are looking to expand that part of the site.  :)

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 681
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
I think he means www.corfu-forum.com which I only ever visited once after registering here on the message boards!  At the moment there isn't really anything on the main site and I think admin are looking to expand that part of the site.  :)
You saved me from all that writing!
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

Offline Maggy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 192
  • -Receive: 140
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »
Mandy  Lockett's user name on here is Tully 8)

Offline Maggy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 192
  • -Receive: 140
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
' I'm telling you now' wasn't that a song? I'm sure Ribena or Viv will find a link to it for us;)   Great news letter :)

I do have one complaint tho'

It's about Viv and her Adonis's :P and their cooked breakfasts ::)

I have put on 4 LBS since joining their breakfast club ???

It's not fair that they get to work out together after they've washed the pots >:(

Offline Viviene

• Thank You
  • -Given: 198
  • -Receive: 186
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »

Freddie and the Dreamers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR-f10Z2iB4

Of to do another workout with my Adonis's

Viv ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.

All content Copyright 2012 Corfu Forum. All rights reserved.
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25