Author Topic: AGIOI DEKA - Άγιοι Δέκα - Agioi Deka village nestles on a hill some 250 meters up on the side of the second largest mountain in Corfu...More...  (Read 988 times)

Offline Steve

• Thank You
  • -Given: 146
  • -Receive: 296
    • View Profile
    • www.huckleberrysmenswear.co.uk
Agioi Deka village nestles on a hill some 250 meters up on the side of the second largest mountain in Corfu, standing at 576 meters above sea level.

Agioi Deka means Ten Saints in Greek and i will add the story of why later.

It is a quiet village and can be found 15 km south of Corfu Town taking the main road to Sinarades.

The accent from the village is a steep one but well worth the climb when you reach the sumit. At the top is the huge white "Golf Ball" you can see from all over Corfu. This is an air navigation system. There is also a small Chapel and  the Monastery of Pantokrator. The views from here looking to the east and west are fabulous.

Walk back down to the Village for a well earned drink and take in the the slow pace of traditional Greek life.

Steve,  8)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:48:09 PM by Steve »
Corfu Villages eBook, now available to buy on pdf format. Price, 2.99. All profits to Corfu charities. Kindle Edition now available at Amazon.
www.corfuvillages.eu  ;)

Offline daveyh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 121
    • View Profile
The walk down from the top as Steve says affords some of the best views in Corfu; if looking towards the north you can see the Achillion, the lagoon, airport runway, Town and the two forts, Vidos all with the Pantokrator range as a backdrop. Absolutely superb; I was there when there was low cloud and it was breathtaking; on a clear day it would be even better.

The walk from Agii Deka to Sinarades via Alepochori (with its freshwater spring) and Kamara is wonderful and coupled with the views more than compensates for the climb.

Of course for those who dont do walking you can now drive up to near the top; you would have to go to the concrete picnic tables outside the Monastery through the gate onto a path by a fence (with cherry and almond trees in an orchard behind)and walk some few hundred yards until the view I describe above comes into sight.     
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:30:01 PM by daveyh »

Dave

Offline Steve

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Thanks Dave,

Another great post from our very own Corfu Forum intrepid Corfu Trail reporter and blogmiester.  ;)

It has took several hours and numerous internet sites to research Agioi Deka. The truth is the information i want simply isn't there.  :(

When i visit Ag.Deka in August i want to know the name of the village church, Church of our Lady? I want to know how many shops and if there is a Kafenion.

I have asked Lias (Lavinia) about the story of the 10 Saints, i think the priests who came there were from all over Greece and they sought refuge there but all had their own Saints, but if it is going in the book, then it has to be correct.  :-\

I will find all this information in the various Village squares i hope.  ???

Steve,  8) 

Corfu Villages eBook, now available to buy on pdf format. Price, 2.99. All profits to Corfu charities. Kindle Edition now available at Amazon.
www.corfuvillages.eu  ;)

Offline daveyh

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Yes I know what you mean Steve. How many saints were there origianlly? There is a place in Albania called 40 saints as that is number killed there; where the corfu 10 a splinter group? There is also an Agii Deka in Crete and reference there tells it as being the site where 10 saints were martyred. That gives us 60 saints but I seem to remember being told there were origianlly 70 saints!! Could the Creten 10 be the same as the Corfu 10 as there were many links between the Islands at that time; wasn't St Spiriodon from Crete. At that point I got confused.........maybe the archive library in Corfu Town is the place to research this for a definitive answer or you just have to say 'legend has it...'.

Dave

Offline Steve

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Amazing Dave !!

I think it's going to be very interesting researching the villages of Corfu but i think it may take a little longer than i had originally thought !

You can't beat a challenge!

Steve,  8)

www.corfuvillages.eu  ;)

Offline daveyh

• Thank You
    • View Profile
If the Church is from or not long after the Byzantine era the 10 saints could just be 10 christians from the Crusades (several of which passed by and stopped of at Corfu). The old crusade song.....when the saints go marching in.....springs to mind. Here in the history of Corfu you will see reference to the persecusion of christians...........could there be a link here to the 10 saints? It may not be actually ten but just a number used to represent a small group.

IV. BYZANTINE PERIOD (337-1204 AD)
After the fall of the Roman Empire, Corfu became part of Byzantium. During the Byzantine period, the island was constantly raided by pirates, Goths and Barbarians. When General Velissarios went on an expedition against the Vandals of Africa and the Goths of Italy, Totila's Goths had the opportunity to conquer the island, causing severe damage. After that, there was a period of peace and prosperity during which the island's capital was transferred north and the Old Castle was built. In the 9th century, the "Scheme of Kefalonia" was founded, including all the Ionian islands. Unfortunately, this period of peace ended with the domination by the Cretan Saracenes who caused great destruction to the island. In 1081, Robert Guiscard conquered Corfu after strenuous fights. During the three years that Corfu remained under the Normandian rule, the crusaders constantly raided the island. In 1147, with the consent of the people of the island who were tired of constant battles, the town came under the rule of the Normand Roger B', only to be liberated by the Byzantine emperor Komninos. This period of peace and prosperity did not last long, as in 1199 the pirate Vetrano Cafouri invaded and raided the city of Kerkira. In 1203, the Crusaders passed by the island on their way to Constantinople.

V. DOMINION OF EPIRUS (1214-1266)
THE DYNASTY OF THE ANDEGAVES (1266-1386)
When the Crusaders conquered Constantinople, in 1204, the island of Corfu was ruled by the pirate from Genoa, Vetrano Cafouri. In 1206, the Venetian fleet, led by Cafouri's son, Dadolo, conquered Corfu and killed the pirate and his men. The Venetian rule ended in 1214, when Corfu was included in the Dominion of Epirus, ruled by Michael A' Aggelos Doukas, one of the three independent states in Greece, after the collapse of Byzantium. This was a period of progress and prosperity, a period when the locals and the church were granted certain privileges. During this period, the fortress of Aggelokastro was built on the western part of the island. In 1236, the island of Corfu once again became part of the Dominion of Epirus, as the latter was reconstituted by Manuel B'. In 1266, the island of Corfu came under the rule of the Andegaves dynasty and a period of deterioration and severe authoritarianism began. The Christians were persecuted, the Archbishop was dismissed and many of the orthodox churches were violently converted to catholic churches. In 1294, Philip, the son of Charles B', was declared "Master" of Corfu and its only administrator. The Andegaves dynasty ruled Corfu until 1386 when the Venetian Rule began.

Dave

Offline jan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 196
    • View Profile
DaveyD  is Andegaves another name for the Angevins who ruled Corfu?

There is a small but well kept road running from Agii Deka to Ano Garouna- did it the other day and my prayers were answered- we did not meet another car coming in the opposite direction,,,,,it is narrow!

Had friends who walked from Benitses to Agios Giordios, had a swim and came back- all via Agii Deka- said it took about 2.5 hours each way

San Stefano Estate (historical villa welcoming visitors) Benitses
www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline daveyh

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Hi Jan, yes that is correct, in some old historical reports he is called Andegaves and in others Angevins. I think the later is an Italianised version of his name.

Dave

Offline jan

• Thank You
    • View Profile
the Angevin dynasty, who originated in Anjou, ruled for a number of years in Corfu- and in UK also- through Matilda, and Eleanor of Aquitaine.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:54:41 AM by jan »

www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline lias

• Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 209
    • View Profile
Hello Steve,

I was told (and for the life I me I cannot remember by whom!) that Aghi Deka is so called because there were fifty Christians in Albania who were being persecuted,   Ten of them escaped and set up the monastery on Aghi Deka.   The forty who were left behind were martyred hence the name of the port in Albania (ooposite Kassiopi) which is Aghi Seranda (the forty saints).   I have asked Pater Xristoforos in Kinopiastes about this, but he was unable to confirm the story.  The next time I see Stefanos Poulimenos I shall ask him as he is very knowledgeable about local history, and will let you know. 

Offline jan

• Thank You
    • View Profile
a lovely drive, or energetic wealk, starts from Agii Deka and goes up the mountain and then down the other side to Ano Garouna.

www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline Steve

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Thank you Lavinia,

It's a great story........I will add it to my book!

Steve,  :-*
www.corfuvillages.eu  ;)

Offline karry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
Just came across this so asked hubby who is from Agii Deka. He says a picture was found on the mountain of 10 saints hence the name Agii Deka ta dah...... ;)

Offline Steve

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Any idea when the picture was found Karry?

Steve,  8)
www.corfuvillages.eu  ;)

Offline karry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
Sorry no idea - but hubby was brought up with this explanation from his Grandparents and his Parents.

All content Copyright 2012 Corfu Forum. All rights reserved.
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24