Author Topic: Travel and Tourism  (Read 10780 times)

Offline Steve

• Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 325
    • www.huckleberrysmenswear.co.uk
Travel and Tourism
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
Hi All,

The "Travel and Tourism" Section is now up and running so, thanks to Bob for all his cooperation in setting it up for us.

I have been adding information on a daily basis to build each section up so the members can now add their own input.

You can add stories, photo's, information, in fact anything you think is relevant to each section.

Here are the different Categories,

The first page you come to is the "Travel and Tourism" page where you can ask anything you want here.

Above are the "Sub Boards" There are 4 sections for you to choose from.

1. "Holiday Reports from Corfu & Greece"
We have added this forum at the suggestion of a member. It is the place to showcase the highlights of your holidays in Corfu and Greece in General. Let the inquisitive know what they are missing. Make it as long or short as you wish but remember that some of us have a short attention span !

2. "Resorts"
We have added this forum to help those unfamiliar with Corfu's resorts. It is the place to showcase themany spectacular resorts in Corfu. It is worth reminding contributors that they may make it as long or short as they wish but remember that some of us have a short attention span!

3. "Out and about"
This is the place to ask questions about places to visit whilst in Corfu. We for our part will try and offer suggestions.

4. "Corfiot Villages"
Here we hope to give an insight to some of the villages in Corfu and Paxos that don't always make the travel brochures. We hope to include some of the history behind them and help them come alive to the more adventurous visitor.

Please contribute to these Forums as any post, big or small will make a big difference to first time visitors, return visitors and residents alike to Corfu.

Looking forward to your posts !

PS. If you don't want to post something yourself and prefer to PM me with any information feel free. PM to Steve.

Stevie f, now simply....Steve,  8) xxx

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:26:23 PM by Steve »
The "Corfu Villages Printed Book" is now available as the Corfu villages website. www.corfuvillages.eu Price £9.95 it contains 60 stunning pages in high gloss featuring 50 villages with text and unseen photographs. All money raised will go to the Corfu charities and the less fortunate on the Island.

Offline Wynne

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 67
Re: Travel and Tourism
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »
It looks great and there is some really useful information there.  Is there anywhere a list of the various festivals going on in Corfu?  When we were last in Corfu we went to the sardine festival in Benitses and some friends took us to a festival in the area of the old town.  Live music, kebabs and beer - a great evening.  This was real Greece, not a 'traditional Greek evening' for tourists.  We loved it.

Offline Steve

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Morning Wynne,

There are many Panayeri' during the holiday season celebrating the Saint's Days.

Each village will have one it depends on where you are going.

In the Village Section i have added the festival days where i have known the date.

This season i will try to find out all the Panayeri dates and add them.

Here is a Link to some festivals to keep you going in the meantime.

http://www.corfu-kerkyra.eu/html/english/feasts.htm

Steve,  8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:41:20 PM by Steve »
The "Corfu Villages Printed Book" is now available as the Corfu villages website. www.corfuvillages.eu Price £9.95 it contains 60 stunning pages in high gloss featuring 50 villages with text and unseen photographs. All money raised will go to the Corfu charities and the less fortunate on the Island.

Offline Wynne

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 67
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »
That's great.  Thank you Steve

Offline Steve

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:30 AM »
Hi All,

Don't forget to check the Travel and Tourism board as there are many new posts, and we need your input for visitors to Corfu!  ;)

Steve,  8)

Offline linde hugo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
Hello Steve

I am desperate for help, Flying to Europe from South Africa to spend time in Corfu. First visit.  Struggling to get info on ferry / flights from say Milan, Venice, Rome. Those are cities we can fly to from Cape Town. Please advise as 2014 schedules not out yet?  Night ferry from Venice, Bari/ Brendisi? I have read a lot trying to get an idea of what Corfu has to offer, its history and people.  The more I read, the more excited I am. We are nature lovers, cyclists, and keen to experience something about the Greec culture/ history. We can only visit in June / July because of our school holidays. Corfu is not yet overrun by package holidayers and boozy youngsters, I hope?

If I can get any advice on how to reach Corfu without breaking the bank or losing too much time? We want to arrive ther on 28 June as the rentals run from Sat . Hope to hear from someone. Linde Cape Town

Offline jan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 277
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 08:16:58 PM »
there will definitely be flights and/or ferries but timetables will not  be released for ages yet. don't worry though, book your main flights.  ferries from italy take between 8 nd 26  hoursw depending on port of departure, and will probably go to to igoumenitsa oppoisite- but many local ferries daily fror last short hop.
watch easyjet and ryanair schedules for t5heir flights to corfu from italy- but remember ryanair especially rarely uses main airports- ie. milan is actually bergamo!

San Stefano Estate (historical villa welcoming visitors) Benitses
www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline Steve

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
Hi linde hugo,

As Jan says, you can book your flights to Italy and you will have a choice to whether you decide to fly or take the ferry to Corfu.

The flights are not out yet but I am sure you get a flight from all 3 of the cities in Italy to Corfu.

Steve,  ;)

Offline suzibren

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »

Hello Steve and all lovers of Corfu - Anyone's opinion / suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Here's my dilemma.

For all my past visits to Corfu I've flown Olympic, which for me here in Florida is a four-legged trip lasting two full days and nights - a nightmare to say the least. The connections are the worst in the universe. Spending 12 hours waiting in New York and the same in Athens.

Alas!!  Norwegian Budget Airline will begin offering a non-stop flight from Ft. Lauderdale (my neighborhood airport) to London - Gatwick this summer  starting in July.  And the one-way price is a super bargain ($240.00) plus $50.00 for a package with meals, luggage and reserved seating.  A great deal for sure.

My concern is that these flights will be aboard the new Boeing Dreamliners. The ones that had numerous fires caused by the lithium batteries.....  Would any one of you take a very long overseas flight with Norwegian Airline? Does anyone have any experience with this company?

And then, what's the best way to get from Gatwick to Corfu? I've never done it that way before.... But avoiding Athens will be a dream come true for me. And saving two days traveling will be a first since 1978!

Can anyone suggest a flight from Gatwick to Corfu in the quickest, least expensive manner possible?  There are no time schedules available yet as it is still almost a year away, but any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. Perhaps this time it will be the adventure it should be rather than the hardship it's always been in the past.

Hope to see Corfu this summer. Wish me luck.  Love you all.
VINI  VIDI  VISA.  I came,  I saw,  I did a little shopping.

Offline jan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 277
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:04:10 AM »
plenty of flights from gatwick- easyjet timetable already out until september

San Stefano Estate (historical villa welcoming visitors) Benitses
www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline Viviene

• Thank You
  • -Given: 196
  • -Receive: 186
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 08:10:40 AM »
Suzi as Jan says there are easyjet flight from Gatwick.

Please remember Prices are more expensive in School Holidays UK Time.

Also with flying in from USA to Gatwick if you come in on a Saturday or Monday there are two flights on these days from Gatwick to Corfu 05.55 am is the normal everyday flight Sunday to Saturday from Gatwick to Corfu but also on Saturdays and Mondays there is a early evening flight around 18.00 hours.

Everyday there is a Flight around 06.00 am with easyjet.

Saturday and Monday also have an evening flight around 18.00 hours with easyjet.

My advice Suzi is sort out what time your flight would land in Gatwick from USA and if it landed in the morning/lunch time UK time then make sure you are landing on a Saturday or Monday because then you can catch the early evening Flight out to Corfu.  Otherwise you will have to spend the night in a hotel.  Although there are plenty of Hotels who offer free shuttle service back to Gatwick Airport for your morning flight.  Come back and we will be able to supply you with plenty of hotels if you need one.

Or any more help you need just ask  :)

Viv

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:47:07 AM by Viviene »
Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.

Offline Dasia

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 51
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »
I googled around and found an article in the UK newspaper the Daily Mail, which said Norwegian plans to offer more comfort than Ryanair. I would hope so for a flight of 9 hours!  And they are going to fly Gatwick to Corfu, so your flight could be all on one ticket if the dates work out. Or you could take one of those early evening flights Viv mentioned. So often the North American flights land just as the morning flights to Corfu are leaving.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2464653/Budget-airline-Norwegian-offers-150-flights-New-York-Gatwick.html

The price is amazing! As they're also going to fly to New York, it will be an interesting summer for the competing airlines.

But the Dreamliner issue...not sure I'd want to be on one of the first flights over the Atlantic after they declare the battery issue resolved...but you don't have to book just yet, maybe some more reassuring evidence will be forthcoming.

In case you do want to consider another option, Air Berlin flies to Germany from Fort Myers and Miami, and is cheaper than Lufthansa. If you pick the right dates you could also fly direct to Corfu on Air Berlin from any one of several cities in Germany, avoiding Athens. We usually go through Munich; they fly the route Tuesdays and Saturdays.
“Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen.” G. Durrell

Offline Trisa

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 602
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »

But the Dreamliner issue...not sure I'd want to be on one of the first flights over the Atlantic after they declare the battery issue resolved...but you don't have to book just yet, maybe some more reassuring evidence will be forthcoming.

In case you do want to consider another option, Air Berlin flies to Germany from Fort Myers and Miami, and is cheaper than Lufthansa. If you pick the right dates you could also fly direct to Corfu on Air Berlin from any one of several cities in Germany, avoiding Athens. We usually go through Munich; they fly the route Tuesdays and Saturdays.

To be honest, personally I would prefer, at the moment anyway, to take the option Dasia has mentioned above. It would take much of the stress away from what should be an exciting build-up to your holiday! Let's face it, we can all do with less stress!
Think before you speak! If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Offline suzibren

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
You guys (and girls) and the BEST. I could not have gotten  all this wonderful (free) info if I had contacted a travel agent in person. God bless you all. I will look into every suggestion . The Norwegian airline for all the flights seems the most convenient and cost effective so far.  Thanks, Dasia.

I think I'll start packing .

Offline suzibren

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 03:55:28 PM »
Trisa, it's amazing how quickly I achieve peace of mind just knowing that any and all of my concerns will always be addressed by you in the timeliest manner. And the willingness to help total strangers (although we are all brothers and sisters in our pure love for our beloved island) is so heartwarming.

I'll let you know when I've got the tickets and my time of arrival in Gouvia.

Always appreciate any more travel tips.  Peace, love and serenity, Suzibren

All content Copyright © 2012 Corfu Forum. All rights reserved.
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25