Author Topic: Your Favourite Book!  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Steve

• Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 325
    • www.huckleberrysmenswear.co.uk
Your Favourite Book!
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:59:12 AM »
I am glad that we have a reading forum now.

All the books that have been mentioned are really good books, but......

What is your Favourite Greek Book of alltime? Difficult one but, you have to choose!

Stevie,  8)
The "Corfu Villages Printed Book" is now available as the Corfu villages website. www.corfuvillages.eu Price 9.95 it contains 60 stunning pages in high gloss featuring 50 villages with text and unseen photographs. All money raised will go to the Corfu charities and the less fortunate on the Island.

Offline Trisa

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 647
Re: Your Favourite Book!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:30:06 AM »
Non-fiction- The sad and harrowing Eleni

Fiction - difficult choice but  probably Captain Corelli's Mandolin, followed by pretty much everything else on the fiction list!!!

Trisa
Think before you speak! If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Offline daveyh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 174
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
Mine are; Ficton: The Cat of Portovecchio; Non-fiction: An Artist in Corfu

Offline ellenjay

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
This is so difficult. If I have to choose one it will be - Flavours of Greece by Rosemary Barron, because trying the recipes reminds me of lovely holidays I have enjoyed.

I have just bought a copy of Captain Corellis Mandolin to re-read before going to Kefalonia this year. I bought it from the Oxfam shop and it might be the copy I gave them in my last clear-out!

Offline Jackie F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
Got to be "Eleni"!

Jackie

Offline Dasia

• Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:26:53 AM »
I agree Eleni is excellent, but my first choice is Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

Interesting that neither movie captures the character and passion that make both books so powerful (in my opinion.)
Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. G. Durrell

Offline Linda2

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:50 AM »
Definitely Eleni and Captain Corelli.

Offline Keira

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »

I enjoyed;  The Summer of my Greek Taverna :  by Tom Stone
 Eleni    and  North of Ithica   by E Gage     (daughter )

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 682
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
Steve,

Trisa and I were discussing this topic today and came to the conclusion that if one is a prolific reader, it is almost impossible to come up with an all time favourite book. I don't devour books like Trisa but I don't think it possible to single any one book out.

Personally, there are many that I enjoy, some stand out but I find it impossible to say that one is an all time favourite. Eleni is definitely one that stands out but that is because we have met the author and been around the location of the book with him. Another reason for liking this book is that I am particularly interested in that period of modern Greek history.

It's a tough question as far as I am concerned but then I am perhaps not the most well read. I can't even cope with Lawrence Durrell!

Bob
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

Offline Steve

• Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 325
    • www.huckleberrysmenswear.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »
Bob and Trisa,

When i ask what is your favourite? Book, Village, Resort etc.

Most people put more than one answer anyway!

Steve,  8)
The "Corfu Villages Printed Book" is now available as the Corfu villages website. www.corfuvillages.eu Price 9.95 it contains 60 stunning pages in high gloss featuring 50 villages with text and unseen photographs. All money raised will go to the Corfu charities and the less fortunate on the Island.

Offline Gillyp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »
So far, would have to say Greek Walls, John Waller, it was a really fun read and I zipped through it, which is unusual for me!

Would have liked to have been able to say My Family and Other Animals but no offence to fans, I found it quite boring in places, too much insect talk lol (some great family story parts though). Even though this book is responsible for me first visiting Corfu, studied it for O'level.  Tried it again a couple of years ago, felt the same.  Loved the recent film though. Met Gerald Durrell when I was 11, he was making a film for Canadian TV at Jersey Zoo and we were filmed with him.  Never got to see the film though, that would be fun to see now!
Keep life simple, love what you have :)

Offline Wynne

• Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »
I would look no further than Kazantzakis.  Apart from the obvious 'Zorba the Greek' I enjoyed reading 'The Fratricides' (a fantastic insite into the civil war), 'Christ Recrucified' and 'Freedom and Death'.  It's nearly thirty years since I first read them but they left a lasting impression

All content Copyright 2012 Corfu Forum. All rights reserved.
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25