Author Topic: Beds, white goods, dining and lounge furniture  (Read 5371 times)

Offline roxysmum

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
Beds, white goods, dining and lounge furniture
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
We are coming over to Corfu at the end of March and want to have a look round for furniture and kitchen white goods, with a view to deciding if it is better to buy in Corfu or ship from the UK.
Also are there any problems with bringing electrical goods from the UK? I wasn't sure whether they might be incompatible with the Corfu electrical supply.
Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Offline jan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 277
Re: Beds, white goods, dining and lounge furniture
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »
compatible electrically yes- cheaper in UK yes BUT if something goes wrong you will be very unlikely to find a Corfu shop that will repair under a UK guarantee.  Prices on Corfu have dropped substantially and places like Kotsovolos (Dixons) often have special offers.

IKEA here is apparently a bit more than IKEA in UK but cost of transportation probably negate that.

San Stefano Estate (historical villa welcoming visitors) Benitses
www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 682
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »
This is a regular question that we should try and come up with a definitive answer for!

I agree entirely with Jan's comments.

One thing that I would add that I don't think has been mentioned before is that when considering electrical appliances, do be aware of how 'dirty' the electrical supply can be here. Try and avoid electronic appliances and go for the cheaper 'manual' ones. This is particularly relevant with things like washing machines.

Most people here will tell you about the value of having surge protectors. For things like DVD players etc I would recommend the use of a voltage regulator. Always use surge protection on your phone line and Uninterruptible Power Supplies are invaluable for computer equipment.

I have just had a look and if you check this thread - http://goo.gl/XHDEi there is some further discussion on this subject towards the end of the thread. HTH.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:28:48 PM by Bob »
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

Offline roxysmum

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:42:32 PM »
Hi Jan whereabouts is Kotsovolos? Is there an area of the town where household items can be found? I only really know the old town from visits, and we are just starting to get more serious about sorting our house out.
I'm interested in what you say about IKEA too - do they have the same products as the UK stores do you know?
Thanks for all this advice guys...

Offline jan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 277
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
pretty well the same stuff in IKEA everywhere, but you can Google IKEA Greece to give you an idea.

Kotsovolos and similar shops are in Solaris which is really the start of the Paleocastritsa road as it leaves town past the Catholic and Jewish cemeteries.  If you have been unlucky enough to need to Poly Clinic, it really begins just after that !  It end just before the traffic lights where the road north meets the road coming out of Corfu from the port.  On a bank overlooking it is also the electrical cooperative- very useful place.

Having said that there are other useful shops on all the access roads into Corfu Town- Ebanos and Profi coming from the north, a furniture shop in Aleppou which people have found good, Jumbo and the plumbing cooperative on the southern approach road.

San Stefano Estate (historical villa welcoming visitors) Benitses
www.SanStefanoEstate.com

Offline roxysmum

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:05 PM »
Really useful thanks Jan - guess where we will be spending a few days while we are there!!!

Offline rogernrose

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 64
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:36 PM »
I wouldn't worry about a local warranty as my experience with Comet is that all warranty work on a cooker is sub contract and it took nearly 6 months last year to get a correct spare control knob.  Also white goods are available in some supermarkets (notably Diellas) at lower prices.

Offline Rob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 52
    • Rob Dingwall Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
We have used Expert to get white goods (washing machine, drier, fridge) in the past - never a problem and they deliver very quickly. When we bought the washing machine, the men followed us home in their truck and installed it immediately. Always good service and, we found, good enough prices.
Rob

Rob Dingwall Photography

“You don't take a photograph, you make it.”
― Ansel Adams

Offline Michael Rouvas

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Beds, white goods 2nd hand
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
Hi all

is there a classified adverts paper or on-line website for corfu...like gumtree?

i am looking to source items to go to Mathraki Island

my website is  www.mathraki.net

Michael O'Connor

Offline Bob

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 203
  • -Receive: 682
    • Loutses- The Village We Now Call Home
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
Michael,

There are dozens of Corfu Facebook pages that frequently have goods for sale. Eg Corfu Grapevine.

Bob
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.
- Anon.

All content Copyright © 2012 Corfu Forum. All rights reserved.
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25